HOME PAGE

itinerari

sei in: home > Palazzi  > Porto San Giorgio,

Porto San Giorgio, Villa delle Rose








Between the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century, there was an enormous increase in building along the coastal strip near Fermo. This important phenomenon of a shift of holiday homes from the nearby hills to the coastal plain, accelerated with the inauguration of the railway line in 1864 and the consequent development of seaside resorts. Villa delle Rose, built in 1921 by order of Alfredo Salvadori, is a one-family villa which reflects fully the architecture and decorative themes of the Art Nouveau style. With all probability, this is the oldest holiday home built in the northern part of the Riviera of Porto San Giorgio which after a short time was dotted with the houses of the flourishing local middle class, hotels of refined taste, hot baths and cinemas. Framed by maritime pines, the house stands out for the intense cranberry red of the bricks with which it was built. The loggia with three arches supports a refined fretworked balcony, behind which are three large windows surmounted by fine majolica decorations. These, like those adorning the side forks, were manufactured by the prestigious Matricardi factory in Ascoli Piceno. Attesting to the name of the client and the year of construction of the building is another decoration on ceramic tiles located on the east side. Built on three floors divided by sober mouldings and cornices defined by white cornerstones, the villa exhibits the typical verticalization of Art Nouveau architecture with an elegant belvedere at the top. The interior follows the aesthetic taste of the external faēades and fascination with Art Noveau can be seen in the murals painted by the Ripi-born master, Egidio Coppola. The villa did not come through the Second World War unscathed, and indeed the war hit the entire coastal area badly. However in 1947 it was donated to the Canossian Daughters of Charity who restored the entire complex to turn it into a school.


  1. In Ascoli Piceno, after the closure of the Paci factory, ceramic production suffered a long period of inactivity that ended only around 1920 with the foundation of the Matricardi factory. This was the result of an idea of the engineer Giuseppe Matricardi, who wanted to start a business which would truly represent the right compromise between ceramic industry and artistic craft. Interested right from the start in a material that was particularly malleable and resistant, Matricardi carried out a scrupulous survey of the soils of the area until he was able to create a very high-quality compound. No less careful was the selection of the decorators who, as well as the merely technical requisites, had to have profound cultural knowledge. Over time the Matricardi factory also enjoyed the collaboration of undisputed masters such as Bruno da Osimo and Adolfo De Carolis who left their refined mark on various decorative artefacts.