History, from its origins
Dominated by the imposing bulk of the Cathedral, from whose forecourt views embraces a splendid panorama that descends harmoniously from the hills to the sea, Fermo stands on top of Sàbulo Hill.
Inhabited since ancient times, in 264 BC the Romans founded a colony here with the name Firmum. In 408 it was taken by Alaric, then passed to the Lombards and was united to the Duchy of Spoleto. Later, under the Franks, it went to the Church. Towards the end of the 10th century, it became the centre of the Marca Fermana, which only died out in the 13th century, when it became part of the Marca of Ancona. In 1199, it became a free commune and then a feud of the Este family in 1214. In 1433, it suffered the rule of Francesco Sforza and although it rebelled against him, it remained under the tyranny of various squires throughout the 16th century. In 1585, Pope Sixtus V, who had close links to the city as he had been its bishop for six years, issued a Sistine Bull decreeing reconfirmation of the Studio Generale Fermano, thanks to which the city’s University could immediately return to its former glory.
From the early 17th century, Fermo was inextricably linked to the Church. In 1808 it was part of the first Kingdom of Italy, as capital of the Department of Tronto. On 21 September 1860 it welcomed the Piedmontese troops and in 1861 declared itself annexed to Italy. The Province of Fermo, cancelled immediately after Unification of Italy, was reestablished by a law approved by the Senate on 19 May 2004.
Throughout this time, Fermo has unceasingly designed, generated and offered culture, hospitality, history and beauty.
An ancient and prestigious centre of studies and by tradition, a place of intense trade on the Adriatic, Fermo is an inviting place. Thanks to its history, surprising itineraries, a range of artistic and cultural attractions and a natural landscape, to enjoy from the sea to the hills, it is a city that continues to be a very attractive destination.