A very important section is permanently dedicated to the artist Sandro Trotti, who donated more than a hundred works to the City of Fermo in 2016, including paintings and drawings created during his brilliant and prestigious career, which began in the late 1950s. This section houses the thanks the city wishes to express to this artist, who could not have a been given a more suitable location than a space dedicated to contemporary art.
Born in 1934 in Monte Urano in the province of Ascoli Piceno, Sandro Trotti trained in Rome. In the Italian capital he became a professor of art at the city’s Academy of Fine Arts, where he taught from 1972 to 2000. In the 1970s, he also began a long period of extensive travel and exhibitions abroad. In fact, he was invited to China in 1999 as the only representative of Italian artists and had the opportunity to exhibit in Beijing, Canton and Shanghai. There, he is still considered the leading representative of Italian artistic culture in the East and in 2007 he was confirmed as ambassador of Italian art and was awarded the prestigious appointment of Professor of Art History at the Central Academy of Beijing and at the Academy of Fine Arts in Canton.
Profoundly material, in which signs and colour together with daring experiments migrate from abstraction to the informal, his technique draws inspiration from Rome, Venice, the Orient and the lyrical landscapes of the Marche region, with its green hills gently sloping towards the sea.
Maestro Trotti’s donation further enriches Fermo’s cultural offer with priceless works of art. Part of the donation includes a 30-square-metre “polyptych” painting called The March of Humanity, exhibited in Piazza Sagrini, a beautiful complex in the former spinning mill, which has undergone an interesting work of industrial archaeological refurbishment.